Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Your 2015 Digital Marketing Campaign Sucks Already!

Barely 3 weeks into 2015 and I see the same damn Marketing and Branding Strategies. I mean really? A sales email that says Last Chance to Buy. Where the hell was my first chance?

Everyone begins the new year with big Digital Marketing plans that they will not follow through with. I know everyone makes a list and its smart to plan for every new year but when I see ads, emails, communication, engagements, videos, branding etc... that are exactly the same as last year I know there are problems someplace.

I made a short list of somethings you need to do for 2015 and be enthralled in by 2016. I know some readers have been doing some of these for years. Hell one of them I have been doing for over 12 years but now its the time to truly make some of these priority.

Make A Damn Decision!


Digital Marketing Managers - Directors - CEOs - Or Whoever Makes the Damn Decisions.
"You talkin to me?" Hell Yes! Dammit I am talking to the decision makers who know they are missing a part of Digital Marketing and refuse to use it. 
  • Social Media Doesn’t Work
  • PPC is to Expensive
  • Content Marketing Is A Joke
  • Internet Visibility Pheweee!
  • Lead Nurturing Sucks
Look, there is a reason your competitors are using these successfully. Just because you don’t understand or haven’t implemented it successfully doesn’t mean it sucks. Be patient and MAKE IT HAPPEN! As Nike says Just Do It.


Content Marketing













With so many forms of marketing swirling around "Maybe it’s time you try something new." Content Marketing is what companies are spending their money on. 93% of B2B marketers said they used Content Marketing in 2014, and 42% said they considered their strategy effective (up from 36% last year).

The book by Bruce Clay & Murray Newlands Content Marketing Strategies for Professionals which I was a contributing writer on Image Marketing, really shows great strategies on how to use Content Marketing as a tool for SEO, Sales, Internet Visibility and so much more.

I have been using Content Marketing as a serious tool for over 12 years. I shoot photography as a hobby so in order to get work I used my SEO skills with image and property optimization. Because of competition in the photography world I had to be creative. I thought maybe I could use three photos to create other Content Marketing opportunities. I used my photos for memes, slideshows, Powerpoints, infographics, videos, audio, screensavers, wallpapers, mobile wallpapers etc…Then which is part two of Content Marketing understanding Content Distribution points for each format your content is in.  So I have been a serious professional at Content Marketing for years. Its a must strategy that has to be incorporated ASAP!

I would definitely and highly recommend making Content Marketing priority #1 for 2015!

Storytelling











The days of intrusive marketing is over. Even the days of throwing 200 facts about your product or service on a web page is done. Smart Digital Marketers are really telling stories online about their product or services.

"Facts Tell But Stories Sell" 

I never forget when comedian/actor Eddie Murphy during his stand-up said Bill Cosby called him and got mad at him saying his stand-up was to dirty. Eddie said I just don't go on stage and curse. You can't give a curse show and leave.  I tell jokes and stories that's what people remember.

In a Good Brand Story: 
  • The customer builds a personal connection 
  • The story is shared
  • The brand gains credibility
  • Action is taken
  • Customers turn into loyalist and evangelist
  • Revenue is increased
If a brand tells good stories customers like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator character will say "I'll Be Back."


Social Media










Stop bashing Social Media! "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth!"  It’s called SOCIAL MEDIA! SOCIAL is the operative word. Social Media isn't easily measurable like PPC, SEO, Email or Lead Nurturing so stop saying it doesn't work because you do not have the great analytics you’re used to. Maybe, possibly you are not doing it correct. Or you don’t understand it’s social! If I walk in one more meeting and a Digital Marketer is bashing Social Media I am going to bash him aside his big ole head!

Oh by the way Social Media is not a One Way Bullhorn!


Instagram



"I’m gonna make an offer to businesses they can’t refuse." INSTAGRAM WORKS! Immediately re-tag (people) and hashtag all your post thoroughly. Use the linked accounts as a tool for further reach and visibility on media sites you might not be on. No Bullhorn Marketing! Be Creative.

Instagram Does Work For Business!

I started a test Instagram account 2 years ago and forgot about it. I did Instagram keyword research and retagged every pic along with hash tagging ad least 20 keywords. My likes quadrupled virtually overnight. Oh and I got business from it.

I also connected my Facebook and Twitter account and doubled friends. If you refuse this offer I will make sure you and your whole Digital Marketing team will be “Sleeping With The Fishes.” 


Your Momma is So Fat...........












"Did I break your concentration"
on doing your routine on PPC, SEO and Landing Pages? Could you get some sort of Lead Nurturing plan together? Just because they fill out your form doesn't mean they are ready to buy. With Lead Nurturing programs like Marketo, Eloqua, or Pardot you have no excuse not to send your potential customer the right next contact. 50% of leads fall into the ‘not ready to buy’ category and you are still sending Buy It Now, The Deadline is Tomorrow, This is Your Last Chance.

Lead Nurturing - Inform, Educate, Keep Alive, Involve, Convert
  • Lead  Nurturing Sources
  • Lead  Nurturing Programs
  • Lead  Conversion
Can't afford big time Lead Nurturing program maybe this will get you started: – Phone Call, Follow Up Email, Case Study, Webinar Invite, Competitive Advantages, Questionnaire, Whitepaper, Email, Webinar, Phone Call, Guide, Phone Call, Close!


Video Marketing















"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
There are companies who don’t give a damn about videos. It’s a Video World Now! If I need info on how to do something I go to YouTube not Google search. Google even has ads on TV telling you to search on YouTube. Why read it when someone can explain and show me how to do it in a video.

Instagram, Snapchat, Vimeo, Vine, Mobile, Facebook, Youtube, Metacafe, DailyMotion and 100's more of video opportunities. Videos don't even have to be 2 minutes long - Videos can be under 15 seconds and be effective: Vine (6 seconds), Snapchat (10 seconds), Instagram (15 seconds). There is no excuse for a company not to post some sort of video.

"Hey You Big Dummy" (Fred Sanford) good videos online are not your company TV commercials. People want to be informed, explained and educated via video. They do not want to see your 30 second spot on a local CBS affiliate. Frankly, They Don’t Give A Damn!


Remote Help












Maybe your budget won’t let you hire a new person that you need desperately. "Houston, we have a problem." Dammit go remote! Stop thinking that you need to monitor someone at work to get things done. Every large or small company I have worked or consulted always had remote employees.

Hold it crybabies I am not saying every position you can do that. But SEO,PPC, SEM, Content Marketing, Social Media, Local Citation, Internet Visibility, Web Design, Graphics etc… can be done with a trusted remote team or individual. Just like hiring new employees you have to hire properly. And it’s not like you cannot face interview a remote person. With all the technology out these days its easy. I personally work more hours and am more productive from a remote position. In addition remote people can save you big money.

Contact me I will find you the best remote people ever!

Focus on Your Customer








You’re so caught up in sales and ROI you forget about your customer. When was the last time you picked up the phone and had a conversation with a customer? "You can't handle the truth" the customer might speak out of their mouth. No pre-recorded questions: Press 1 for YES or Press 2 for NO. Ask real world question and encourage honesty good or bad from the customer.

2015 Customer Goals
  • Focus on the Customer Experience
  • Become Human
  • Engage More 
  • Listen to the Max
  • Physically Pick Up the Phone
  • Move Customers From Brand Indifferent to Brand Inelastic

The more you understand your customer the more sales you will have. 


Marketing Brand Message












You know that your marketing message needs to change but you still keep the same messaging strategies. The C-levels and directors love the old message although they have introduced powerful new services. Yes it’s tough to change. Your competitors have changed their brand marketing message and are killing it. Matter a fact what they have changed their message to is exactly what your company does 1000% better.

Make your case and force a change because at the end of the day. They will blame you.

Discover


"Here's Johnny!" Jack Nicholson’s classic line in the 1980's horror film The Shining was not in the script. Sometimes you have to experiment, try things and think outside the box. In 2015 don’t look at what your industry is doing for ads and marketing look at top ads from all industries and create new ideas. Discover!


Mobile












"Show Me The Money!" I'll show your azz the money, MOBILE!
  

Look I don’t even need to tell you, you see it in your analytics. If 10% of people viewed your website on their tablets or smartphones then in the next 5 years 30% will. Your website needs to be responsive and your market material also. Desktops have a few years left for search dominance. I say 2015 on this but most mobile strategies should have started in 2010.

Mobile Minimums:
  • Responsive Website
  • Mobile Optimized Content
  • Mobile Ads
  • Content For Mobile 
  • Creative Mobile App
  • Understanding of Mobile Habits
  • Video, Video, Video

I do Basketball Speed & Agility Training  with a good friend of mine. We train girls and guys from 3rd grade to professional. It's a real fun weekend hobby working with young people. Everyone of the kids and adults has a mobile phone and tablet. When we scrimmage and a call is controversial every kid, adult and parent goes to their phone and looks for the official rule via video on the phone. No text search video! Get your mobile on.

Reputation Management










I always loved that Al Pacino line from Scarface. I know Reputation Management is an old Internet factor but users are so savvy now they will find everything about your company. You really need to control your reputation to the millionth degree. Having a great BBB is nothing now because people will attack you through Facebook, Twitter, a blog, Consumer Affairs or Complaints. The worst is Ripoff Report! If you haven't done a great job of controlling your reputation a Ripoff Report complaint will show up high in the search engines under your company name. Even if the customer is wrong it shows up. In addition, it is very tough to get the complain link off unless you pay.

I feel there needs to be a renewed interest in Reputation Management in 2015. I actually have had several clients tell me they have paid complaint sites $1000's to get their complain link removed.

May The Force Be With You!













I wish you all of you the best of luck this year. I know it will be a great year for you. I hope some of the mentioned above you really concentrate on and put full effort towards.

Please share this with your friends!

Feel free to holla at me anytime

May the Force Be With You!

Follow Me Here





No comments: